AIX 4.3.3 - Undefined Symbols while building STLPort - GCC 3.2.2

Paul Ruvolo pruvolo@inviosoftware.com
Tue Sep 23 19:37:00 GMT 2003


Disregard this.  This has been traced back to a problem with STL port, 
not GCC.

Paul Ruvolo wrote:

> I am trying to build STLPort on AIX 4.3.3.  I have successfully built 
> this package on AIX 5.1 (using GCC 3.2.2 as well).
>
> On both machines I am using the native linker
>
> Aix 4.3.3 -
> ./gcc -v
> Configured with: ../gcc-3.2.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/fbe/2.0 
> --with-stabs --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --without-gnu-as 
> --with-as=/usr/bin/as
> Thread mode: aix
> gcc version 3.2.2
>
> Aix 5.1 -
> ./gcc -v
> Same as above
>
> When I try to compile STLPort there is a crucial difference between 
> what happens on AIX 5.1 and 4.3.3
>
> 4.3.3 -
> /usr/local/fbe/2.0/bin/g++ -pthread -fexceptions -I../stlport -Wall -W 
> -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -ftemplate-depth-32 
> -D_REENTRANT -D__EXTENSIONS__ -O -fPIC dll_main.cpp -c -o 
> ../lib/obj/GCC-AIX/ReleaseD/dll_main.o
>
> Note: note warning are generated by above step
> Alos, I am pretty sure that D_REENTRANT isn't required on AIX, but it 
> is there nevertheless.
>
> 5.1 -
> /usr/local/fbe/2.0/bin/g++ -fexceptions -I../stlport -Wall -W 
> -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -ftemplate-depth-32 
> -D_REENTRANT -D__EXTENSIONS__ -O -fPIC dll_main.cpp -c -o 
> ../lib/obj/GCC-AIX/ReleaseD/dll_main.o
> ../stlport/stl/_threads.c: In instantiation of `_STL::_STLP_mutex_base 
> _STL::_Swap_lock_struct<0>::_S_swap_lock':
> ../stlport/stl/_threads.h:459:   instantiated from here
> ../stlport/stl/_threads.c:48: warning: aggregate has a partly bracketed
>   initializer
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c: In instantiation of `_STL::_STLP_mutex_base 
> _STL::_Node_Alloc_Lock<false, 0>::_S_lock':
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:131:   instantiated from 
> `_STL::_Node_Alloc_Lock<__threads, __inst>::_Node_Alloc_Lock() [with 
> bool __threads = false, int __inst = 0]'
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:156:   instantiated from `static void* 
> _STL::__node_alloc<__threads, __inst>::_M_allocate(long unsigned int) 
> [with bool __threads = false, int __inst = 0]'
> dll_main.cpp:150:   instantiated from here
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:298: warning: aggregate has a partly bracketed
>   initializer
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c: In instantiation of `_STL::_STLP_mutex_base 
> _STL::_Node_Alloc_Lock<true, 0>::_S_lock':
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:131:   instantiated from 
> `_STL::_Node_Alloc_Lock<__threads, __inst>::_Node_Alloc_Lock() [with 
> bool __threads = true, int __inst = 0]'
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:156:   instantiated from `static void* 
> _STL::__node_alloc<__threads, __inst>::_M_allocate(long unsigned int) 
> [with bool __threads = true, int __inst = 0]'
> dll_main.cpp:151:   instantiated from here
> ../stlport/stl/_alloc.c:298: warning: aggregate has a partly bracketed
>   initializer
>
> Notice all the warning generated.  This turns out to be a good thing 
> because I believe this is what is allowing AIX 5.1 to define the 
> following symbol, while 4.3.3 fails to do some.
>
> nm -C dll_main.o | grep Node_Alloc
> _ZN4_STL16_Node_Alloc_LockILb1ELi0EE7_S_lockE   U   -
> _ZN4_STL16_Node_Alloc_LockILb1ELi0EE7_S_lockE   d   83260      4
>
> AIX 5.1 - nm -C dll_main.o | grep Node_Alloc
> _ZN4_STL16_Node_Alloc_LockILb1Eli0EE7_S_lockE    D   72980
> _ZN4_STL16_Node_Alloc_LockILb1Eli0EE7_S_LockE    U   -
> _ZN4_STL16_Node_Alloc_LockILb1Eli0EE7_S_LockE    d   83984
>
>
> When I try to link a helloWorld program on Aix 4.3.3 it fails with the 
> following message
>
> ERROR: Undefined symbol: _STL::_Node_Alloc_Lock<(bool)1, (int)0>::_S_lock
>
> A side note is that I installed GNUPro 2.95 to get more information.  
> When I compile dll_main.cpp with GNUPro the Node_Alloc symbol is 
> defined as expected.  I have other reasons for not wanting to using 
> GNUPro as my final choice for compiler, so I need to get GCC 3.2.2 
> working.
>
> FYI, I applied *APAR* IY26685 to my AIX 4.3.3 system.
>
> I can't seem to nail this down.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list