Is gcc 3.3 the same as Solaris 2.6 (SUNOS 5.6)

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Fri Sep 12 17:51:00 GMT 2003

David Kelly wrote:

> I have a requirement for SunOS 5.6 which is no longer being made.

If you're developing an app that has to be 5.6 compatible or if your
hardware is so old that newer Solaris versions don't run on it, you should
get it touch with Sun - they're generally very helpful. You can probably
find a copy of the media on ebay or similar but unless you already have the
licence for it you're on shaky ground.

Otherwise, please consider running a newer Solaris. You should be able to
download SunOS 5.8 or 5.9 from http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/ for a
small fee - $20 last I checked. Solaris, like other commercial unixes, are
generally very good at backward compatibility - if you need 5.6 because you
need to run software that says it wants 5.6 then it will almost certainly
work on 5.8 or 5.9. (And if it doesn't, you've only cost yourself $20 or so
to get the latest Solaris.)

The other scenario I can think of is that you have some software that you
need to run which the vendor won't support past SunOS 5.6. I'd hope this
isn't the case but you should contact the vendor and they'll almost
certainly have tested later versions. 5.7 is at least three years old now; I
don't know how old 5.6 is.

If you're still having trouble, you could try asking on one of the sun
newsgroups - that'd be more appropriate than here. I'd suggest
sunmanagers.org as *the* difficult Solaris questions mailing list, but they
prefer urgent, complex questions from serious admins and your GCC / SunOS
question was a bit clueless :-/

Good luck sorting this,
Rup.