GCC 3.3.1; HP-UX B.10.20; Make 3.80: You do the math

law@redhat.com law@redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 16:10:00 GMT 2003

In message <3F994808.5000100@Motorola.com>, "Mario Nigrovic; RVVK40" writes:
 >law@redhat.com wrote:
 >> In message <3F98A241.6060809@nigrovic.net>, Mario Nigrovic writes:
 >>  >/var/tmp//cc1asr4R.s: Assembler messages:
 >>  >/var/tmp//cc1asr4R.s:641: Error: bad expression
 >>  >/var/tmp//cc1asr4R.s:641: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored ch
 >arac
 >>  >ter is `g'
 >> It looks like something in GCC is forgetting to strip out the '*' at the
 >> start of a variable name ('*' at the start of a name has special meaning to
 >> gcc and it needs to be stripped before the name can be put into an assemble
 >> file (STRIP_NAME_ENCODING).
 >>
 >> Jeff
 >
 >Someone (who shall remain nameless since he replied off-list ;-) suggested
 >maybe sed.  Unfortunately, putting in sed-4.0.7 didn't fix my problem.
No, this is done directly in the compiler.  At least in the past it was
done by calling STRIP_NAME_ENCODING, but that may have changed in recent
history.

 >Should I go over and report this or is someone already watching this list for
 >compiler bugs?
You should file a report in bugzilla.

jeff