need help compiling for Windows

Sheryl Canter sheryl@permutations.com
Wed Oct 8 05:26:00 GMT 2003

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the answer.

I'm now using MSYS because it's more straightforward, but I can't get that
to work either. In my profile file, I have this line:

CC=gcc CXX=gcc

This seems to be correct because when I type just $CC on a line in MSys it
lists the correct file:

$ $CC
gcc.exe: no input files

I also have my mingw directory correctly bound to MSYS in fstab:

C:/mingw   /mingw

The directory /c/mingw/bin is in my path.

When I try to configure gcc, I get this:

Administrator@TPA21P /c/gcc-objdir
$
c:/Software/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/configure --prefix=c:/gcc-3.3.1 --with-local-prefi
=c:/gcc/3.3.1
Configuring for a i686-pc-mingw32 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /c/gcc-objdir using "mh-frag"
c:/Software/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/configure: c:mingwbingcc.exe: command not found
*** The command 'c:mingwbingcc.exe -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I'm at my wits end over this. I've been at it all day and all evening. It's
nearly 2am.

    - Sheryl