LGPL vs GPL

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Thu Oct 2 04:04:00 GMT 2003


Hi Shail,

It sounds like you are seeking legal advice.

I recommend you either read <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html> very carefully and draw your own conclusions, or have a legal expert give you his/her professional assessment.

By the way, there are a few portions of GCC that are GPL, not LGPL.  I would be very surprised if you have incorporated any of those portions into your own applications (unless your application is a debugger, or compiler, which intimately relies upon GCC technology).

Note -- I'm not blowing off your questions!  Your questions are very serious, and as such I am suggesting that you get either expert opinion, or draw your own conclusions, instead of culling (perhaps) incorrect or inaccurate or misleading answers from the volunteer participants on this forum.

I don't think asking the members of this forum for their opinion on legal matters is a good basis for making legal decisions.  Since, as far as I am aware, we are not lawyers; we are not GNU associates; we are not involved in the creation of the LGPL -- we're just your average people trying to help each other out with GCC issues.

Sincerely,
--Eljay




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list