gcc on darwin os-x

Claudio Bley bley@cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Nov 5 09:00:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:21:23PM -0500, Nick Strauss wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.

> I'm trying to use g++ in darwin os-x running on a g5 system with
> a powerPC 970 chip.
> I've written the following piece of code:
>
> 	unsigned long long alloc = 1LL<<41;
>
> 	ptr = new char[alloc];
>
> I get a vm_alloc error.
> Is the g++ limited to a 32-bit address space on darwin os-x on g5?

Frankly, I don't know. But to me it seems you're trying to allocate an
array which needs 2 TB of memory. Do you really have that much memory?
In that case, these G5 boxes must be a lot better than I thought.

Regards.
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X