Compiling issues

Mike Stump mrs@apple.com
Tue Nov 4 19:37:00 GMT 2003


On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 09:35 AM, Craig Martin wrote:
> Hello.  I have a question about the different versions of gcc.  If an
> application was compiled using an older version of gcc and then
> recompiled with a more recent version, would there be any detrimental
> effects.

It depends on the details, all of which you left out.  So, in general, 
the answer is usually not, though, sometimes.

> I have a production system that uses gcc 3.0 I think.  I also
> have a driver that requires gcc version 3.2.  If I install the new
> version of gcc, will it affect the compiling of applications that have
> previously been compiled using an older version of gcc.  Has any of the
> functionality of 3.0 been removed from 3.2??

There have been some things removed, and there have been some bugs put 
in.  It, hopefully, it unlikely that you'll be hit by such things, but, 
if you code base is old and crusty, this increases the odds you'll be 
hit.


In the future, please don't spray all the lists.  Pick one.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list