extremely disappointing bootstrap problems building gcc on linux :( (probably solved)

John Sincock jss@au.mensa.org
Tue May 20 12:40:00 GMT 2003

Hi Janis

Actually I wasnt building in the source directory. I was building in a
separate directory as recommended.

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 05:05 am, you wrote:
> It looks as if you are building in the source directory; is that
> correct?  The installation producedures strongly recommend that GCC be
> built in a separate directory, e.g.

Yesterday I managed to build just the 3.3 C compiler (using
--enable-languages=c), without any problems at all, using gcc 2.95.3 ...
So, it looks like it was just my glibc, ruining the bootstrap of g++:

The thing that threw me was the successful build report for 3.2.2,
from someone with mandrake 8.2, glibc-2.2.4-26.2mdk

So it looked to me as if my glibc-2.2.4-25mdk would probably
be ok...

I wouldnt have thought it likely there would be any important changes
between my glibc-2.2.4-25mdk and the successful glibc-2.2.4-26.2mdk
... obviously there is though.

I expect I will have no problems building the full gcc 3.3 with all
languages enabled, when i have upgraded my glibc and tried again.

I will probably do that this weekend and send in a quick report to this
list if it is succesful...

Thanks again to all who made any suggestions etc

John