Kernel - Build For Different Host

John Anthony Kazos Jr. jkazos@vt.edu
Sun May 25 19:37:00 GMT 2003

I want to use my Athlon GHz box to compile a kernel for a Pentium III 450
box. Setting aside issues of compilation errors due to kernel bugs (which
is the user's problem to work around, until the fixes are ready, of course
:P), do I need to do anything to make it work for sure on that box, in the
way of compiler flags? Or can I just leave it at the defaults, the defaults
having worked every single time for me in the past (though I've always used
the host system to build a kernel for itself). Or do I just need to try it
and see?