extremely disappointing bootstrap problems building gcc on linux :(

Janis Johnson janis187@us.ibm.com
Mon May 19 19:37:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 09:29:57PM +0930, John Sincock wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have tried unsuccessfully to build gcc 3.2.2 and now 3.3, on
> Mandrake 8.2 (with lots of updates).
>

> I am following the build procedure correctly, but it just doesnt work.

It looks as if you are building in the source directory; is that
correct?  The installation producedures strongly recommend that GCC be
built in a separate directory, e.g.

  mkdir objdir
  cd objdir
  ../gcc-3.3/configure ...
  make bootstrap
  make install

Sometimes building in the source directory works, but there are enough
weird problems that can happen with it that it's not recommended, and
there are once again discussions about whether it ought to be supported.

Janis