extremely disappointing bootstrap problems building gcc on linux :(

Dara Hazeghi dhazeghi@yahoo.com
Sat May 17 19:19:00 GMT 2003

A couple of points.

1. gcc 3.2.X and previous could not be built within their source
directory: ie "cd gcc-3.2.3 && ./configure && make" generally failed.
This may account for the -lgcc_eh problem. This was unfortunately not
well documented.

2. diff files do not apply to tarballs. Period. Diffs apply only to
regular directories. ie tar -xzf gcc-3.2.2.tar.gz && patch -p0 -E <
gcc-3.2.2-3.2.3.diff should work fine.

3. --enable-shared and --enable-threads are I believe the default on
Linux. It appears that you may have found a bug in configure on gcc
3.3. Please just do a vanilla configure without any options, and see if
this still fails.

3.5. What version of GNU make are you using? There have been a few
which have worked rather less than well (I recall 3.78 had significant
issues).

4. Quite a number of people have successfully built gcc 3.3 on Linux
(and elsewhere). If you look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/buildstat.html , you'll see at least 10
people have successfully built gcc 3.3. So while I sympathize with your
frustration, please remember that we do not have access to your exact
setup, we are a volunteer project, and it is very difficult to test
every possible environment.

Thanks,

Dara