__attribute__((constructor)), shared object files and C++...

Pearson, Scott scott.pearson@intel.com
Thu May 8 20:05:00 GMT 2003

Daniel and Muthu,

Thanks for the help (so far).

I went back and looked through the HOW-TO documents and other articles that
I was using to educate myself. The item that put me onto the wrong set of
commands was not the HOW-TO, but an article on IBM's web site named "Shared
objects for the object disoriented!"
(www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-shobj/). Figures...

Ok, after looking through the responses I received, I changed my build
sequence for the non-C++ example to:

            gcc -fPIC -c libtest.c
            gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libtest.so.1 -o libtest.so.1.0 libtest.o
            ldconfig -v -n .
            ln -sf libtest.so.1 libtest.so
            gcc -o test -L. -ltest test.p

...and I now have versioning and executing module constructors/destructors.

For the C++ case, I ended up with the (somewhat similar) sequence:

            g++ -fPIC -c libctest.cpp
            g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libctest.so.1 -o libctest.so.1.0
libctest.o
            ldconfig -v -n .
            ln -sf libctest.so.1 libctest.so
            g++ -o ctest -L. -lctest -lstdc++ ctest.cpp

This didn't work; the module constructors/destructors were not executed.
Where did I go wrong?

N. Scott Pearson
Staff S/W Architect, Intel Desktop Boards Operation
Desktop Platform Solutions Division, Intel Corporation
Desk    503-696-7818       Cell      503-702-6412
Fax      503-696-1015       Email    scott.pearson@intel.com