Customizations Won't Stick

Andrew Pinski pinskia@physics.uc.edu
Mon Jun 2 12:38:00 GMT 2003

On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 08:27 US/Eastern, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:

> I'm trying to customize GCC to my own particular development needs.  I
> inserted some code in "src/gcc-3.3/gcc/main.c" which compiles fine.
> The code also works as expected in the following intermediary files:
>
> obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1
> obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1obj
> obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1plus

These programs are called the compiler itself

> However, after I do a "make install" the code disappears as if it was
> never there.  The binary files:
>
> bin/gcc
> bin/g++
> bin/(the one for objective c; I forget the name)

These programs are called drivers they drive the compiler and the
assembler and the linker.
Also there is no driver for objective-c.

> work fine, except for the code I inserted.  The binary files act as if
> the code was removed or was never there, because tests show that
> everything else works ok.
>
> I've tried various different makes:  bootstrap, all-gcc, install,
> install-gcc.  The results were all the same.
>
> Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Why won't my
> customizations stick?  Why do they appear in the intermediary files
> but disappear in the final binary output files (the installed files)?

There are still there try running the compiler (to find out where the
compiler is run the driver with -v).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski