aix gcc compile on aix 5L but couldn't run on aix 4.3

Eli Ben-Shoshan linkages@ufl.edu
Thu Jul 31 23:41:00 GMT 2003


AIX5.2 is significantly different from 4.3 and earlier 4.x version of 
AIX. Specifically the memory allocation techniques are different which 
might be why you are getting these messages. Are you compiling this app 
with a -m64 option? If so, then you will not be able to run this on a 
32bit box. Are you using any of the -march or -mcpu options to gcc. 
There are quite a few variations of the PowerPC architecture and I have 
found that if I compile with the -march flag on one machine it does not 
tend to work well (read: at all) on a different machine of another arch. 
Hope this helps.

mla wrote:
> hello all! thanks for all the help. I got another
> problem. :P I use gcc to compile a program running on
> aix 5.2. but when I copied it into aix 4.3. it won't
> run I get the error 
> 
> exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./test1 because
> of the following errors:
>         0509-023 Symbol ___memset in test1 is not
> defined.
>         0509-023 Symbol ___memmove in test1 is not
> defined.
>         0509-023 Symbol __malloc_user_defined_name in
> test1 is not defined.
>         0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that
> does not have a valid format.
> 
> is there a flag that I missed that I could use when I
> compile on aix 5 that will allow me to run the program
> on a lower version of the os? 
> 
> neeeed help!thanks!
> 
> 
> 
> 
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> 




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list