Multiple Installs of gcc

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Wed Jul 23 13:59:00 GMT 2003

Joseph Felps <joe_felps@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a hard time installing gcc into it's own folder.  Say if I
> wanted to install it in /usr/local/GCC.  I then added that to my PATH
> but I was having linker problems with update-alternatives.  I'm not
> really sure how to use it.  I would just like to know the best way to
> install multiple versions, so that it's easy to uninstall them.

Add /usr/local/GCC/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/GCC/lib

There is probably a way to reconfigure your linker to check this
    directory without using LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Under freebsd or linux
    see 'man ldconfig' On other unices you'll have to do your own
    searching.