porting gcc version 2.72

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Thu Jan 30 09:27:00 GMT 2003


Roger Gough wrote:

> I am looking for some help in porting GCC version 2.7.2 to a dsp
> processor. I have the necessary machine description files, i.e
> dsp16xx.c,dsp16xx.h, and dsp16xx.md.

Sorry to ask but: why do you want to start with GCC 2.7.2 rather than
the latest version? You'll likely get better support from GCC developers
working with a later version since they'll be more familiar with the
code, plus there are years of bug fixes, extra optimisations, etc. since
2.7.2.

> 	However, at this point I get the following errors:
> 
> make[1]: *** [gcc.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roger_gough/gcc-2.7.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> 
> 1. Are these make errors problems with my code or do they 
> arise because i am attempting to build the port incorrectly?

It's a compilation error in gcc.o; make is aborting because the GCC
building gcc.o exited with an error. You'll have to show us a few more
lines up.

> 2. Is it ok to have an object directory as a subdirectory of a source
> directory as i did above?

I don't think it's recommended but there's no good reason it shouldn't
work. On the other hand, it's easy for you to put the object directory
elsewhere.

> 3. I am using SuSe linux 8.0 which already has version GCC 3.2
> running on it. Should there be issues with trying to port GCC
> version 2.72?

In theory, no. In practise, maybe - there might be problems compiling
very old codebases with newer GCCs. In particular, newer GCCs make
aliasing assumptions allowed by recent C standards; you might want to
look up the -f options for aliasing if you're having problems.

Good luck,
Rup.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list