gcc 3.2.1

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Fri Jan 17 08:57:00 GMT 2003

Chris Croswhite wrote:

> Could someone explain to me why when I remove the "-g" flag from
> making gcc-3.2.1 does the binary not able to compile an application
> correctly.

You mean you removed the -g from the GCC build flags and the resulting
GCC's bad? That shouldn't happen. Which platform are you using? What
compiler did you start from? Did you 'make bootstrap' or just 'make'? If
you did bootstrap, the compiler has proven that it can compile itself.
Did you run the GCC testsuite? If so, do you get similar results to
other reports for your platform? (follow links from the GCC-3.2.1 build
status page or look in the gcc-testsuite mailing list archives.)

Is this limited to one application? With or without -g should not affect
the generated code but you may have found a bug where it does; if you
can reproduce this, please consider submitting a bug report.

> Also, I ahve found that gcc 3.2.1 has increased the size of my
> executable by 35% (10.1M -> 15.2M).  Is there a way to reduce this?

Versus which compiler? Is your application C++? g++ 3.x have a
different, more conformant implentation of the STL, etc., which could
account for extra code size - I understand this is mostly tuning
problems with GCC's code inliner and this is discussed periodically on
the main GCC mailing list. Alternatively, you might not have enabled
dead code elimination; are you compiling with -O2 or above?

Rup.