not an ELF file

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Wed Feb 26 20:09:00 GMT 2003

Shahin Hacikuliev <linux@gateway.ege.edu.tr> writes:

> Hi list,
> when I am trying to check module dependencies
>
> [root@proxy squid]# depmod -a -e
> depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.19/modules.dep~ is not an ELF file
>
> what does it mean?

It means you are asking in the wrong forum. :-) This is better asked
    in a place like comp.os.linux or some such.

depmod expects to find two kinds of files: kernel modules, which are
    elf files, and dependency files, which have names like modules.dep
    . modules.dep~ is neither; it isn't an elf file, and it isn't
    modules.dep .

The solution is to move modules.dep~ to another directory, so it won't
    bother depmod.

Of course this has nothing to do with gcc, so next time ask elsewhere.