preprocessor concatenation issue ...
Eljay Love-Jensen
eljay@adobe.com
Wed Dec 3 18:33:00 GMT 2003
Hi Mark,
Your macros are illegal.
You need to use the preprocessor concatentation operator (##) to make a token. The dot (.) that is being concatenated against does not form a valid token.
You don't need the concatation operator (##) in them. If you remove them, then the macros should work correctly.
HTH,
--Eljay
At 09:07 AM 12/3/2003 -0800, Mark Nicholson wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from gcc 2.95.2 to gcc 3.3.2 and I've run
>into an odd incompatibility. Here is the test code:
>
>
>typedef struct
>{
> struct
> {
> unsigned long allocs;
> unsigned long fails;
> unsigned long frees;
> } sleeplocks;
> struct
> {
> unsigned long allocs;
> unsigned long fails;
> unsigned long frees;
> } rwsleeplocks;
> struct
> {
> unsigned long allocs;
> unsigned long fails;
> unsigned long frees;
> } conditions;
> struct
> {
> unsigned long allocs;
> unsigned long fails;
> unsigned long frees;
> } events;
>
>} lockstats_t;
>
>lockstats_t lockstats;
>
>#define LOCKSTATS_ALLOCS_INC(_locktype) \
> lockstats. ##_locktype##.allocs++
>#define LOCKSTATS_FAILS_INC(_locktype) \
> lockstats.##_locktype##.fails++
>#define LOCKSTATS_FREES_INC(_locktype) \
> lockstats.##_locktype##.frees++
>
>int main( void )
>{
> LOCKSTATS_FREES_INC(sleeplocks);
>
> /*
> * desire to get:
> *
> * lockstats.sleeplocks.frees++;
> */
>
> return( 0 );
>}
>
> I expect to get a main routine with the line:
>
> lockstats.sleeplocks.frees++;
>
> in place of the macro.
>
> When I compile this with GCC 2.95.2, it compiles fine (and works).
>When I use GCC 3.3.2, I get these errors:
>
>tcsh-102: gcc -Wall -o go substitution.c
>substitution.c:42:39: pasting "." and "sleeplocks" does not give a valid
>preprocessing token
>substitution.c:42:39: pasting "sleeplocks" and "." does not give a valid
>preprocessing token
>tcsh-103:
>
> Any ideas if this is actually a bug? Can anyone suggest a
>workaround?
>
> By the way, when I recompile it with --save-temps, the code it
>spits out is correct (trimmed for brevity):
>
>lockstats_t lockstats;
># 43 "substitution.c"
>int main( void )
>{
> lockstats.sleeplocks.frees++;
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> return( 0 );
>}
>
> Thanks in advance for any wisdom and help!
>
>Cheers!
>
>Mark Nicholson
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list