X86 Assembly Short Jump

Kris Lyon goa@rogers.com
Tue Dec 30 13:56:00 GMT 2003

I double checked the Intel documentation
(http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/manuals/), and as far as I can
tell JMP is the only non-conditional jump instruction of this type.
Thanks for the suggestion though.  I just wanted to know if there was
something horribly obvious that I was doing wrong.  If anyone has
anymore suggestions... they'd be appreciated.

	-kris

-----Original Message-----
From: qinfeng.zhang@philips.com [mailto:qinfeng.zhang@philips.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:51 AM
To: goa@rogers.com
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org; gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org; goa@rogers.com
Subject: Re: X86 Assembly Short Jump

It seems that you should use another jump instruction.

I have the impression that there are several typy jump instructions in
x86 assembly.

For JMP, the destination address is a relative address. There should be
another jump

instruction, which has a absolute address as destination.

Anyway, I am not sure. You can refer the Intel doc.

Regards              /)/)
                    (-.-)
Qinfeng Zhang

Philips Research East Asia - Shanghai