Help for a novice

Oliver Kullmann O.Kullmann@Swansea.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 14:29:00 GMT 2003


On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:21:04AM -0600, Mike Badar wrote:
> Mailing-List: contact gcc-help-help@gcc.gnu.org; run by ezmlm
> Precedence: bulk
> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:gcc-help-unsubscribe-O.Kullmann=swansea.ac.uk@gcc.gnu.org>
> List-Archive: <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/>
> List-Post: <mailto:gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
> List-Help: <mailto:gcc-help-help@gcc.gnu.org>
> Delivered-To: mailing list gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
> From: Mike Badar <mbadar@esri.com>
> To: "'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:21:04 -0600 
> X-SA-Exim-Mail-From: gcc-help-return-13408-O.Kullmann=swansea.ac.uk@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Help for a novice
> X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.5
> 	tests=none
> 	version=2.55
> X-Spam-Level: 
> X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.55 (1.174.2.19-2003-05-19-exp)
> X-SA-Exim-Version: 3.0 (built Sat May 17 23:48:01 PDT 2003)
> X-UIDL: U2G"!PFm"!bQK"!7N@"!
> 
> I recently installed gcc version 3.3 on Redhat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-3.  I am
> taking an introductory c++ class this fall and I wanted to get a head start
> on compiling my c++ programs.  I compiled my program (without error) with
> the following command:
> 
> g++ first.cpp
> 
> It produced a file called a.out.  Is this the object file?  How do I convert
> this file into an executable file?  Is linking the process used to create an
> executable from an object file?  
> 
> Forgive my ignorance surrounding this question.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> 
> Mike Badar
> ESRI-Denver
> One International Ct.
> Broomfield, CO  80021-3200
> 303-449-7779
> mbadar@esri.com
> www.esri.com
> 

Hi,

a.out is the executable. If you do not use the compiler option "-c",
then no object files are created, but only the executable.

Just run it with

./a.out

Oliver




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list