Reading big-endian binary data on a little-endian machine

Mark Panning mpanning@seismo.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 15 19:34:00 GMT 2003

I currently am in the process of trying to move some of my codes from a
Big-Endian Solaris system to a little-endian PC cluster running Linux.  I would
however like to continue to use the binary data files I was using on the
Big-Endian system.
In ifc, a Fortran compiler, there is an environment variable F_UFMTENDIAN which
can be set such that all READ operations automatically perform a big-to-little
conversion and all WRITE operations perform the little-to-big covnersion.
Is there something similar which I can do with gcc or with options in the
read/write or fread/fwrite functions?
Mark Panning