Can't build gcc 3.1 on AIX

Dave Williss dwilliss@microimages.com
Thu Sep 12 10:53:00 GMT 2002

I'm having trouble building gcc 3.1 on an AIX (powerpc-aib-aix4.1.4.0)
machine.  It gets as far as linking and then gets the following error:

    ld: 0711-701 ERROR: TOC overflow. TOC size: 77248  Maximum size: 65536

Any clues how to make it build?  I know I've gotten by this in the
past with our own code by passing -mno-fp-in-toc, but I doubt if gcc
is using a lot of FP that would get put into the TOC, so I doubt
if that would help in this case.

I am successfully using 3.1 on an SGI IRIX and on Linux.  It also built
fine on Solaris 2.6 and the install just finished.

 -- Dave Williss
------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup