How do does the compiler driver and compiler driver work together?

Guy Montag theguymontag@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 11:37:00 GMT 2002

I am trying to understand how the compiler driver and
compiler proper go together, where and how are they
linked?

Looking under the C++ make fragment in the Makefile
(lines 883-1190), I see that the compiler driver (g++)
is built before the compiler proper (cc1plus), but I
do not see how the driver is linked to the compiler
proper. The compiler driver does include the object
file g++spec.o, but I do not see how this would have
any effect.

I would appreciate any insight and links relevant to
the subject.

Thank you world,
-Guy