Lexical conversion.

John Carter john.carter@tait.co.nz
Tue Oct 15 17:14:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Claudio Bley wrote:

>     John> What is the fastest way under gcc-3.* to convert from an int
>     John> to a string?  ie. Equivalent to this yucky bit of code...
>
> We are talking about C++, right? I don't know how fast it is (or what
> your constrains are), but I would use something like that:
>
> #include <sstream>
>
> string convert (const int number) {
>      ostringstream ostr;
>      ostr << number;
>      return ostr.str ();
> }

Sigh! I decided (especially as most the cases I worry about are in 0-9) to
implement it like so.. (I unit tested it so I'm reasonable confident it
works and its about 3 times faster in the general case than using printf)

string convert(const int value) {
  int abs_value;

  if (value >= 0) {
    // Optimise for single digit case...