Giant executables.. what am I doing wrong?

Michiel Buddingh' ajuin+mail@stack.nl
Tue Oct 15 05:15:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:38:13AM +0200, Claudio Bley wrote:
> Of course, write(2) is a system call, but nonetheless you need an
> entry point somewhere to call that function from your program. That's
> why gcc links in the C library which defines write as a weak symbol
> (at least on my machine).

Then again, 332 kB seems a lot of overhead for adding something like an
entry point. I'm starting to get the idea that this problem is related to
my gcc installation. Compiling the same program on a FreeBSD system using
gcc 2.95 leaves me with an executable of 15 kB. Still rather hefty, but a
lot better.

--
		-- Michiel