Error compiling 64bits gcc 3.2 compiler on Solaris 2.8

Ziying Sherwin sherwin@lhc.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Oct 3 07:33:00 GMT 2002


We are trying to install gcc 3.2 64 bits compiler on our Solaris 2.8
machine. Currently we are using gcc 2.95.2. We attempted to install gcc 3 
64 bit compiler several time, but encountered some problems each time. This
time, we stil have problems compiling true 64 bit compiler. Here is how we
do it:

 1. Using gcc 2.95.2 compile a 32 bits gcc 3.2 compiler:

      /gcc_3.2.dir/configure \
          --prefix=/depot/package/gcc_3.2_32bit \
          --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc \
          --enable-threads
      make bootstrap
      make check
      make install

 2. Using the newly compiled 32 bits gcc 3.2 compiler to compile a 64 bits
    compiler:

      /gcc_3.2.dir/configure \
          --prefix=/depot/package/gcc_3.2_64bit \
          --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc \
          --enable-threads \
          --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as \
          --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld \
          --disable-nls
          sparcv9-sun-solaris2
      make bootstrap
      make check   
      make install

  3. Using the newly compiled 64 bits gcc 3.2 compiler to compile a real
     64 bits compiler:

       /gcc_3.2.dir/configure \
          --prefix=/depot/package/gcc_3.2 \
          --enable-threads \
          --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as \
          --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld \
          --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc \
          --disable-nls \
          sparcv9-sun-solaris2
       make bootstrap [failed here]

     We got error messages at this point:

        /bin/sh /site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/move-if-change tmp-check.h tree-check.h
echo timestamp > s-check
stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/depot/package/gcc_3.2/sparcv9-sun-solaris2/bin/ -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE    -I. -I. -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/. -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/config -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/../include /site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/print-rtl.c
-o print-rtl.o
stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/depot/package/gcc_3.2/sparcv9-sun-solaris2/bin/ -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE    -I. -I. -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/. -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/config -I/site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/../include /site4/gcc_3.2.dir/gcc/errors.c -o
errors.o
stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/depot/package/gcc_3.2/sparcv9-sun-solaris2/bin/ -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE  -o genflags \
 genflags.o rtl.o read-rtl.o bitmap.o ggc-none.o gensupport.o print-rtl.o errors.o ../libiberty/libiberty.a
ld: warning: file ../libiberty/libiberty.a(hashtab.o): wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
htab_create                         read-rtl.o
_obstack_begin                      genflags.o
_sch_toupper                        genflags.o
obstack_free                        read-rtl.o
htab_find                           read-rtl.o
_sch_istable                        genflags.o
xstrdup                             read-rtl.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to genflags
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [genflags] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gccbuild/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gccbuild/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ziying Sherwin

P.S. I am not on the mailing list, please send your suggestion to 
sherwin@nlm.nih.gov       



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list