bootstrapping with non-traditional directories

Stewart Allen stewart@neuron.com
Mon Nov 25 11:34:00 GMT 2002


I've been trying to get glibc and gcc built into a non-traditional directory 
structure for over a week now without complete success. I've tried numerous 
things including modifying spec files and some (admittedly guesswork) 
homemade patches. This is what I woud ideally like to do:

1) build glibc-2.3.1 into /pkg/glibc/2.3.1
2) build gcc-3.2.1 into /pkg/gcc/3.2.1 with dependencies on /pkg/glibc/2.3.1
3) build other packages into /pkg/<name>/<version> which use #1 and #2
4) have no dependencies on /lib/* system linker or system libc

No matter how hard I try, something always finds a way to sneak references 
to /lib/* in there. The furthest I've gotten was step 2 with a custom spec 
file and a wrapper for gcc and ld. The gcc compile failed with a seg fault 
in the rpc code. Building it statically seems to solve this, but it's not 
ideal. I've bootstrapped the bootstrap process but building gcc-3.2.1 and 
using that instead of the default gcc that comes with RH73.

Can anyone suggest a cleaner approach for doing this?

thanks!



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list