GCC Version?

Joe.Miller@reuters.com Joe.Miller@reuters.com
Mon May 6 15:58:00 GMT 2002

GCC Help,

My group is currently in the planning stages to port our Solaris codebase to the RedHat Linux 7.2 operating system.  It has been suggested to us to use GCC 2.96, but all information that we have read from the GCC website indicates that 2.96 is not a "formal" version.  We have been therefore considering using GCC 3.0.x, however we must link with third party static libraries built with GCC 2.95.3.  Are libraries built with GCC 2.95.3 binary compatible with GCC 3.0.x (i.e. can we link with 2.95.3 static libraries from 3.0.x)?  And since our primary goals for porting to Linux is performance oriented, are there any significant binary run-time performance advantages that GCC 3.0.x might provide over GCC 2.95.3?

Thank you for your time.

Joe Miller
Programmer Analyst
Reuters - Oak Brook, IL