Configuring and Compiling GCC for Windows

Mark Butcher M_J_BUTCHER@compuserve.com
Tue May 21 15:49:00 GMT 2002

Hi All

I haven't given up yet, although I don't seem to be getting much 'moral'
support as of yet..

Here's the latest situation, in the hope that there is someone out there a
heart to share a little expertise with a struggling beginner.

1. Have left NT and gone back to Windows 98 because more was working there.

2. Originally the configure was failing after typing in the following
command in cygwin bash shell

c:/usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/configure

*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
       target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
       (Any other directories should still work fine.)
creating Makefile
sed: can't read c: No such file or directory
sed: can't read
c:/usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty//usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty/Mak
efile.in: No such file or directory
creating testsuite/Makefile
sed: can't read c: No such file or directory
sed: can't read
c:/usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty//usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty/Mak
efile.in: No such file or directory
creating config.h
cat: can't read c: No such file or directory
cat: can't read
c:/usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty//usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/libiberty/con
fig.in: No such file or directory
Configuring zlib...
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... eval1: syntax error: unterminated
quoted string
configure in /cygdrive/c/usr/local/src/gcc-objdir/zlib failed, exiting.

I am presently assuming that the first message about the configuration not
being supported in some directories is not important (or is it ?) because I
don't know how I could otherwise influence it.

3. I did make a small breakthrough by typing in the command differently
(obviously c: is not good ). At last some progress to show for an evenings
work !!

/cygdrive/c/usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/configure

*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
       target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
       (Any other directories should still work fine.)
....  (all fine 'till here now)
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... eval1: syntax error: unterminated
quoted string
configure in /cygdrive/c/usr/local/src/gcc-objdir/zlib failed, exiting.

Still the first note (warning or fatal error ?) but the make files are
successfully created. Still the problem with a syntax error but don't know
where to look at the moment.

Still hoping for that elusive tip..

Regards

Mark Butcher