detecting spills in binary code

Naveen Kumar naveen@cs.pitt.edu
Mon May 20 16:56:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I am trying to detect spills and reloads (with reasonable accuracy) by
looking at a binary code. My binary has been generated by gcc (2.95) on
SPARC for solaris 2.8.

Could anyone help me figuring out what a genuine spill/reload would look
like ? I have been thinking that in general, a spill should be on to
the stack and if I store a register on to the stack and load from the same
memory address, it should be a spill; but then even this could be just
writing out variables (locals) and reading it back, or it could just be a
context switch (say, we have a register window overflow).

Thanks,
Naveen.