Why won't this *** build work ??

Brett Hunt huntbs@lycos.com
Thu Jun 13 08:02:00 GMT 2002


Mark,

I'm sorry but I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. My guess, though, is that there is something wrong with the configure scripts. When I tried to compile gcc-3.0.4 as a cross compiler, the configure wasn't correctly being done for a cross compiler and it was trying to run programs that were compiled for linux under cygwin. In the end, what fixed it was getting the source for gcc-3.1 and trying again. It seems that they had fixed the cross-compiler bugs in the configure scripts (which is where your errors are by the way).

It looks like your procedure was good. It was the same set of steps that I followed.

To answer a few of your questions:
autoconf, automake, and autoheader are all available as part of the cygwin installation. So you could add those to your system if you want to. (However, I'm not sure if autoheader is part of its own package like autoconf and automake are.)

I don't think the exception model error is related to the nm.exe output. Check in this file '/usr/local/src/gnu/gcc-3.0.4/libstdc++-v3/configure' and search for "checking for exception model". You'll see the configuration script checking a variable, then possibly compiling a program and then, depending on 'yes' or 'no' setting the exception model. Look in the '/usr/local/src/gnu/BUILD/gcc-3.0.4/mcore-elf/libstdc++-v3' and look for a conftest* file to see if it was trying to test for it. Also review the config.log in that directory for more information. Also check config.status in that directory.

Those are the places that I can think to check. Do try to build using gcc-3.1 before you give up just in case you run into the same issue that I did.

Again, good luck,
Brett

BTW, I successfully built a cross-compiler using the cygwin gcc-2.95.3-5 sources and with gcc-3.1. But not with gcc-3.0.4 because of errors in their configuration files.


On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:04:04   
 Mark Butcher wrote:
< A bunch of stuff >


_______________________________________________________
WIN a first class trip to Hawaii.  Live like the King of Rock and Roll
on the big Island. Enter Now!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list