Problem with g77 Fortran

Toon Moene toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Wed Jul 10 14:55:00 GMT 2002

I wrote:

> Rob Willson wrote:

> > open(unit=1,file='datafile.dat', recl=132,status='old')

> >       Read(1,10) x,y,z
> > 10    FOrmat(3f10.2)
> >
> > When I say:  f77 -o prog prog.f , I get a statement.." sfe: formatted io
> > is not allowed"
>
> The "recl=132" makes the run time library think this is a direct access
> file.  Removing it will make the program work.

This analysis is not correct - it makes the run time library think this
is an unformatted file.

> I'll look up whether this is correct behaviour.

I asked around on comp.lang.fortran; this is the result:

Fortran 77 left this open - Fortran 90 interpreted it as:  The record
length is the maximum you can use (write to) on sequential I/O.

I made a fix to the g77 run time library to allow RECL=nnn without
having it assuming you want unformatted I/O.

This change will be in the next major release.

Cheers,