Optimising GCC for a PentiumMMX system?

John Gay johngay@eircom.net
Sun Jul 28 09:58:00 GMT 2002

On Sat 27 Jul 2002 18:38, you wrote:
> For compiling the kernel, you could try gcc 3.1 (or cvs verison).
> Though, I would recommend icc (Intel compiler), as you can really get
> some performance enhancements from their compiler targeting your
> particular processor.  I have great success in speeding up my
> applications with icc but have had to do some work to get it to compile
> which was compiling fine under gcc 2.95.3/3.1.

Thanks for the info on icc, but from the sounds of it, I would be able to
compile the kernel fine but the rest of the system would be questionable? I
am not ready to go to such lengths, especially considering my lack of
programming skills ;-)

I would prefer to stick to one compiler for the entire thing. The latest news
I hear is that KDE3 does NOT work if compiled with GCC3.1? apparently a
problem with DCOP? Seems 3.0.2 is the latest known to work.

At the moment I am building the base lfs system and using GCC2.95.3 as
provided in their tarball. However, I have ignored the warnings and set
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to -O3 -march=i586 to see how it goes.

Question???

How can I find out if the binaries I am building are really optimized for
i586?
file still tells me that they are i386 binaries?
I would like to be sure that I'm not wasting my time compiling all this to
find out later that I missed some optimization flag. I am just following the
optimization hints for lfs.

Cheers,

	John Gay