Problems with make

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Mon Jan 28 04:28:00 GMT 2002


Momchil Velikov wrote:

> >> When I run >>make makefile
:
> Rupert> You need to tell make what you'd like it to build. If you
> Rupert> don't specify anything then it assumes a target 'all' which
> Rupert> doesn't exist in your makefile.
> 
> Actually it picks up the first target, no need for ``all''.
> 
> The problem is that there's no dependency upon the Makefile itself.

Oops, yes, I stand corrected; answered from memory without checking
docs. I also hadn't noticed that he was running 'make makefile' instead
of plain 'make'.

Kabir, if you want to specify the makefile to use then you should type
'make -f <makefile name>'. It will automatically search a number of
filenames to use as the makefile including 'makefile' and 'Makefile' if
you don't specify -f.

Rup.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list