16 bit code for 186 processor

Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci fwyzard@inwind.it
Fri Jan 11 15:44:00 GMT 2002


At 19.13 10/01/2002 (GMT +0530), Pannaga Bhushan wrote:
>Dear Sir/Madam,
>                           I am using bin utils 2.11.2, which is the latest
>available. I wrote a simple hello world program and compiled with gcc using
>the -S option to get the .s (assembly file).  I inserted .code16 directive
>in the line after the label main:
>
>Then I assembled this with the command   -----    gcc file_name.s
>
>The a.out file that I get from this process gives segmentation fault error
>and dumps the core.
>
>What are the steps to get a code that can execute on 186 processor( that is
>16 bit processor).
>
>Hope the procedure is simple and also hope that I get a reply soon.

I don't know if it is at all possible - anyway, you at least need to build 
all the library you are going to use (including those that come with gcc, 
eg. libgcc, libstdc++, etc.) as 16 bit.
Note that this is just a requirement, I don't think it'll be enough to 
generate 16 bit code at all.

fwyzard



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list