Building gcc 3.0.3 from source
Rupert Wood
me@rupey.net
Sat Jan 12 04:51:00 GMT 2002
Florian Bachmann wrote:
> Does configure-make-make install work, or is there another make
> target that does the trick?
Yes, providing the build compiler is a similar version of GCC. (You may
get away with a non-GCC that has high standards conformance, but I'm not
sure.) You lose the bootstrap compare, though, and you're on potentially
dangerous ground if the build compiler causes a code generation error in
the middle of GCC - I doubt such non-bootstrapped compilers get much
testing.
If you're willing to trust the bootstrap compare (and with released
compilers on a well-known system that's a fair bet) then you could
perform the first two stages of the bootstrap only - but I don't think
there's an existing target to do this. You'd have to edit the top level
makefile and/or perform a few manual steps from the gcc directory.
> Secondly, I have run into problems with the "fixed" header files in
> the .../lib/gcc-lib/.../include directory. Are the tools for
> generating these files actually installed when issuing the "make
> install" command?
No, they're not. Fixing is performed at GCC build time and only the
fixed headers are installed.
Hope that helps,
Rup.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list