g++ versus gcc

Ben Elliston bje@redhat.com
Sun Dec 22 04:07:00 GMT 2002

  William> So now, it seems, we need to change all our makefiles, or the relevant
  William> environment variables, to use "g++" instead of "gcc" for building c++
  William> files.

  William> I would appreciate confirmation that the use of "g++" has
  William> officially replaced the use of "gcc" for c++ builds.

This has been the case for a long time, if not forever.  g++ passes a
number of C++-specific options to the compiler and the linker that are
required for correct C++ compilation.

As for the issues with std::cout, G++ is always gravitating closer to
the C++ standard.  Previously, it allowed non-conforming C++ programs
to build -- now it's time to fix the code.

  William> Kelowna BC Canada

Lucky you. :-)

Ben