c++ question

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Thu Dec 26 02:26:00 GMT 2002


520075708323-0001@t-online.de (Alexander Helm) writes:

> Hi John,
> 
> John Burski wrote:
> > [...]
> > // File: hello.cpp
> > #include <iostream>
> 
> using namespace std;

Do you really want to bring in everything in namespace std? Like
    'count' and 'y1'? I don't think so.

using std::cout;

will bring in only cout. It's better to use individual using statements.

> 
> > int main() {
> >    cout << "Hello, World\n";
> > }
> > [...]
> 
> If you add the above line everything should do fine (alternativly you
> can use std::cout instead of cout)
> 
> > [...]
> > INCLUDE = /usr/include/g++-3
> > LIBES = -lstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0
> > hello: hello.o
> > 	g++ -o hello hello.o $(LIBES)
> > hello.o: hello.cpp
> > 	g++ -c -I$(INCLUDE) hello.cpp
> 
> I would urge you not to include system-libraries this way, it makes
> your source less portable.
> 
> 	CU
> 	Alexander



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list