Linking gcc 3.2 c++-library to a gcc 2.7 c-executable

Kerola Antti antti.kerola@insta.fi
Mon Dec 2 04:42:00 GMT 2002


Hi

I have a c++-library implemented by another party which 
uses STL and will only compile with gcc 3.x. The library
provides also a C interface with extern "C" -functions.

I need to link this library to a main program, which
is written in C and currently compiles with gcc 2.7.2.2.

Is it possible to do the linking of the executable and the c++
-library with gcc 2.7.2.2? 

I have tried that, and it seems to work even when using gcc 2.7.2.2
as a C-compiler. Still, I have doubts, for example concerning static 
variables. The library does not have any static variables, but what 
about STL? 

If using gcc 2.7.2.2 as a linker is not viable, do I have
any other options besides using gcc 3.x? 
gcc 2.7.2.2 is our current production compiler and changing 
the production compiler is not just a matter of installation 
for us.

I am running Sparc/Solaris 8 and I have access to all the 
source code of both the library and main program.

Thanks in advance,

Antti


______________________________________________
Antti Kerola, Product Manager
INSTRUMENTOINTI OY, C3i Systems
Sarankulmankatu 20, FIN-33900 Tampere



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list