GCC Install Problem

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Wed Aug 7 04:45:00 GMT 2002


Kirk Lombardy/Todd Kokoszka wrote:

> > 
> > Make: line 1246: Syntax error. Stop.
> > 
> Does the command 'make' call gmake ?

To expand on that a little (read: do something with my beaten-to-it
reply :-) ), this doesn't look like an error produced by GNU make. It's
probably a good idea to use GNU make to build GCC; GNU make fixes some
VPATH and dependecy bugs in vendor makes (e.g. HP's) and has a slightly
extended syntax: I've lost track whether or not building with a non-GNU
make is currently supported but it's generally a good idea to use it
anyway. You can download it from any GNU mirror and it should build OK
with any C compiler; if you have trouble, try configuring it
'--disable-nls'. If you want to install it in parallel with your vendor
make, it's usual to configure it '--program-prefix=g', hence 'gmake' as
Todd suggests.

If you're already using GNU make (or if that doesn't fix it), it'd be
useful to know what system you're trying to install GCC on.

> > I run the make bootstrap command in the directory in which the
> > files were installed after running the configure command.  I am
> > assuming this is where I am suppose to run the make bootstrap
> > command at.

Yes, correct.

Rup.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list