Problem building Solaris hosted PowerPC EABI cross compiler

Ron McCall rmccall@sikorsky.com
Sat Aug 3 12:28:00 GMT 2002

Following the instructions at the below URL, I was finally able to build
and install a Solaris hosted PowerPC EABI targeted cross compiler tool
chain (thanks Mumit!).  This includes binutils 2.12.1, gcc 3.1.1 and
newlib 1.10.0.  It is interesting that these instructions seem to merely
avoid running the particular test that was failing before when I
followed Bill Gatliff's CrossGCC FAQ instructions.  The resulting cross
compiler still cannot build an executable by default.

After having done more research into those undefined symbols, I found
that the cross compiler does not by default link in any of the startup
files nor the C library.  I found that adding a compiler option such as
-mads causes it to link in a particular set of startup files (and the C
library) which resolves all those undefined symbols and that the result
of the -mads option is controlled by the specs file.  Now I can work on
adding support for our board!

http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-to-newlib-cross-howto.txt

Ron McCall