Binary incompaitibility compiled of different versions

Manjunath H Bhajantri manjunathbhajantri@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 20 06:17:00 GMT 2002


Hello,
  I created a shared library, libhello.so, out of 
program Hello.c which is having only one function
with the help of below commands, with the compiler
*gcc-2.96* on red hat linux-7.2

1. gcc -fPIC -c Hello.c
2. gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libhello.so.1 \
     -o libhello.so.1.0 Hello.o
3. ln -s libhello.so.1.o libhello.so.1
4. ln -s libhello.so.1 libhello.so
5. ldconfig

--------Hello.c----------------
#include <stdio.h>
void sayHello() {
   printf("Hello! How are you?\n");
}

--------Hello.c----------------

Now when I try to use this library hello in my another
program but with different compiler - gcc-3.0.2,
linker says undefined reference to sayHello function.

libhello.so is in /usr/lib
and I tried to compile my program with the option
-lhello.

I was just wondering if this behaviour is expected
because I always thought that .so files are
independant
of compilers version on linux.

Thanks,
Manjunath.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more
http://games.yahoo.com/



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list