cannot exec `as'

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Mon Apr 15 13:54:00 GMT 2002


Yvonne Becherini wrote:

> I'm running gcc - 2.96 on Redhat 7.2, I have 'as' in 
> /usr/bin/as, but g++ cannot link to that.

Hmm - that's odd.

You could:

  1. check that 'as' is in your path:

         which as

  2. check that you have permission to execute 'as':

         ls -la /usr/bin/as

     Hopefully you'll get at least permissions -r-xr-xr-x.

  3. ask gcc which 'as' it's trying to use:

         g++ -v -dump-prog-name=as

If GCC has a hardcoded path to 'as' which is invalid then it should fall
back to using the first 'as' it can find in the path - so as long as
/usr/bin/as is in the path, there shouldn't be any problems.

It may be trying to find an 'as' in /usr/<host>/bin, where <host> is
i686-redhat-linux-gnu or similar; you could check there for a
non-executable version. Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas.

Rup.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list