gcc install advice

Brian Olson bz_lt_yr@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 14:26:00 GMT 2002


I am running Redhat Linux 7.2.  It comes with GCC
2.96.  I am attempting to downgrade this to 2.95.  I
have downloaded the source and I have performed the
steps listed in the install instructions.  After
reading a few other posts I am 95 % sure that I did it
right.  But I am left with 1 newbie question.  When I
check the version logged in as root with the command
gcc –v I get version 2.96.  When I check it as a
regular user I get 2.95.  I am fairly certain that it
is a path issue, but I donÂ’t know how to change the
path.  I can probably figure out the path problem
(Good learning experience), but what I realy need to
know, If I fix that path issue,  Will the system by
default use 2.95 when ever I build a program with
make?

Just for refrence here are the steps I took when
installing GCC.  

1.	Download gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz to /usr/local/src. 
2.	cd /usr/local/src
3.	tar –zxvf gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz
4.	mkdir /usr/local/src/gcc-objdir
5.	cd /usr/local/src/gcc-objdir
6.	/usr/local/src/gcc-objdir/configure
7.	make bootstrap
8.	make install

The system is running redhat linux 7.2, on a Pentium
133

Thanks for any help or advice in advance


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
http://taxes.yahoo.com/



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list