Installing GCC 3.0 on Redhat
Frank Schafer
frank.schafer@setuza.cz
Tue Oct 2 22:19:00 GMT 2001
"Premetz, Dan (MED)" wrote:
> OK. I purchased the "Using and Porting GNU CC" from the Free Software
> Foundation. I thought I knew what I was doing from reading the book,
> until I actually tried to implement what I'd read.
>
> I run the "configure" script for GCC 3.0. This does a slew of "checks".
>
> All OK. I am in the "gcc-3.0" directory when I type "make LANGUAGES=c".
>
> The make compiles for a couple of minutes, then runs a bunch of "link"
> commands, then another bunch of "checks".
>
> Problem: During the "check" phase of the "stage 1" compilation, I get
> the
> following error...
>
> "checking for g++ that will successfully compile libstdc++-v3...
> configure: error: please upgrade to GCC 3.0 or above
> make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1"
>
> I thought the "LANGUAGES=c" argument on the make line would only build
> the C compiler stuff. Why does it care about the C++ stuff during the
> stage 1 compilation?
>
> I'm stuck. Please help.
>
> -Dan Premetz
>
> ################################################################
> Dan Premetz, W-832 | Email: premetz@mr.med.ge.com
> GE Medical Systems | Phone: 262-521-6581
> 3200 North Grandview Boulevard | Pager: 414-515-2460
> Waukesha, Wisconsin 53188 | Fax: 262-521-6409
> ################################################################
Hi Dan,
You shouldn't build or configure from the gcc-3.0 directory. The docs
complain against this.
in Your src directory unpack the distro and create a build directory, that
it looks like this:
/usr/src # ls
gcc-3.0 build
/usr/src #
for instance
Change to the build directory and do a:
/usr/src/build # ../gcc-3.0/configure ... --enable-languages=c,c++ ...
...
/usr/src/build # make bootstrap
/usr/src/build # make install
This all can be found in the /usr/src/gcc-3.0/{README,INSTALL} files and
should solve
Your problems.
Hope this helps
Frank
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list