Installing gcc3.0 problem : src and obj path?

Jern Tat Wang jerntat@hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:53:00 GMT 2001

I have read the installation documentation and I know i have to put the
build files in a separate directory as the source file and before i build i
need to configure gcc after that perform to make as follow:

mkdir objdir
cd objdir
/srcdir/ configure
make bootstrap
make install

Now, the problem i have is
1) Where should the objdir and srcdir be? Can they be just any directory of
anyname at any place?
2) How do I indicate to make, where the srdir and objdir can be found?
3)Will there be any problem if i alrady have ecgs-2.91.66 version of gcc
installed? (i.e all program compile using current version will also compile
in gcc 3.0?