Missing basic wide char/wide string handling functions

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Thu Nov 29 02:35:00 GMT 2001

Brian Kirwan wrote:

> I'm building an application that needs to handle unicode strings and
> therefore need wide char/string handling functions.  In gcc, I CAN
> find the corresponding CONVERSION functions (e.g., mbstowcs,
> wcstombs, etc.) but I CANNOT find the BASIC wide string handling
> functions, i.e., wcout, wstrcat, etc. (nor wprintf, etc in the C
> library).

GCC makes a few POSIX-like fixes to the system header files, but the set
of functions you have really depends on the C library you're using and
not on the compiler.

That said, it sounds like you're using a Sun box. Certainly Solaris
2.8's system C library has wprintf in wchar.h (try 'man wprintf') but
I'm not sure how many Solaris versions back that goes.

Hope that helps,
Rup.