GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Wed Nov 28 03:18:00 GMT 2001

Kabir Patel wrote:

> >>Then use the "file" command to see if it is compressed or not.
> >>I once had a netscape which removed the ".gz" but left the
> >>file still compressed so I had to add the ".gz" back onto it.
> How did you uncompress? I have tried uncompress, unzip and tar
> and all have failed. The name of the file is
> "gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz."

Using gzip, e.g.:

    gzip -d gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

You can usually pipe this into something, e.g. tar, but I don't know if
you can do this with Sun's package system.

However, you probably have already got an uncompressed copy (as Robert
suggests) - when you tried unzipping the file, it found a Java
(runtime?) .jar file embedded in the package (which is really a .tar
file) and uncompressed that instead. If your package was gzip
compressed, I think unzip would have failed.