trying to create cross compiler for mipsel-linux

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Mon Nov 26 23:23:00 GMT 2001

Mark Juszczec wrote:

> I have the following installed on a RedHat 7.0, kernel
> 2.2.16-22, i586:
>
> /usr/local/src/binutils-2.11.2
> /usr/local/src/build-binutils
> /usr/local/src/build-gcc
> /usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.2
> /usr/local/src/newlib-1.9.0

newlib is intended for embedded systems; you shouldn't use it to target
mipsel-linux system.

Instead you should use copies of files from the target mipsel-linux
distribution:

  * target /usr/include to /usr/local/mipsel-linux/sys-include
    (making sure that you get the contents of linux and asm and not
     just dangling symlinks)

  * target /lib in /usr/local/mipsel-linux/lib
    (won't need subdirectories)

  * target *.o from /usr/lib to /usr/local/mipsel-linux/lib
    (plus any other libs you think you might need; won't need
     subdirectories)

> I configured/tried to make gcc as follows:
>
> /usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.2/configure --target=mipsel-linux
> --with-newlib
> --with-headers=/usr/local/src/newlib-1.9.0/newlib/libc/include
> --enable-static --disable-shared

You can use '--with-headers' and '--with-libs' twice to do the above
copies but I'm not sure if they copy subdirectories or not, or whether
they'll copy include/linux and include/asm correctly.

I don't think '--enable-static' does anything, but I guess it won't
hurt.

> /usr/local/src/build-gcc/mipsel-linux/libstdc++-v3/include/mip
> sel-linux/bits/os_defines.h:37:22:
> features.h: No such file or directory

If you're lucky then this is related to assumptions about the wrong
header files and will just go away :-)

Good luck,
Rup.